The latest comedy gigs come under scrutiny - find out whether the laughter died or whether I died laughing!

8 July 2010

Are you having a laugh?!

“There's so little opportunity to write about comedy” - It’s that very quote from an article I stumbled across the other day by The Guardian’s Brian Logan which prompted me to start this blog...if only to prove that there is plenty of comedy to write about. And write about it I and (hopefully you) shall!

So, am I qualified to review comedy?
Nope! But that’s the great thing about comedy - it’s subjective. Anyone and everyone is entitled to their opinion - not that in writing this blog I think mine is more valid than any other punter’s but just because quite frankly I love to talk about comedy; be it good, bad, or even sometimes ugly! With that in mind let’s be clear from the outset ...ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present what this blog will and won’t do...

The blog basics
- It WILL give you an insight into the latest comedy gigs I’ve seen
But it WON’T profess to be the only opinion that counts

- It WILL be honest
But it WON’T take itself too seriously

- It WILL encourage your feedback (about the blog, the comedian in question or the gig in question)
But it WONT berate a difference of opinion

Disclaimer: It WILL inevitably frequently uphold Jon Richardson as the Master of Comedy (although even he is open to criticism) and it WILL probably be of the opinion that those ‘big names’ who try their hand at stand-up based on reputation alone, need to work twice as hard to prove that they deserve their place amongst comedy’s finest...mentioning no one in particular. Oh wait, I promised you honesty, ok...Stephen Merchant; great writer? Yes! Great stand-up? Not quite. Opinions I feel it’s only fair I warn you about now so, err...you have been warned.

Having been an avid comedy fan for about a year now (ignited by last year’s Latitude Festival in which I spent most of my time in the Comedy Tent), I’ve managed to squeeze in a fair few gigs in the past year: Pippa Evans; Tom Adams; Andrew Lawrence; Pete Firman; Al Stick; Fordy’s Lock-In; and the debut of GIT show featuring the aforementioned Master of Comedy, Lloyd Langford and Dan Atkinson - to name just a few.

Thoughts towards Edinburgh
With the Edinburgh Festival fast approaching it seemed like the perfect time to get this blog up and running, and it seems only fitting that tomorrow night I am off to The Junction in Cambridge to see Mark Watson, a man who is himself an avid blogger.

So check back in a few days when Mr Watson will be first in the spotlight...


In the meantime here's to Brain Logan laughing on the other side of his face!

Comedy Hen

No comments:

Post a Comment