The latest comedy gigs come under scrutiny - find out whether the laughter died or whether I died laughing!

26 August 2010

Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2010

Ah the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the highlight (and arguably most stressful month) of every comic’s year; put on a crowd pleasing show and the opportunities come flooding in but hit the mark even slightly off target and reputations can be ruined faster than Matt Forde polishing off last night’s curry for breakfast.

So with the stakes so high why do so many comics return year after year? Even those big names - such as Jimmy Carr, now performing his 9th consecutive solo show - who don’t need the kudos of the Fringe to boost their career, consistently return to the Scottish capital in that semi sadistic but potentially rewarding manner. Again the question is, why? Quite simply because there is no festival like it.

And so I find myself here in Edinburgh, having been similarly enchanted by the Festival’s appeal, with 10 days of comedy ahead of me and 25 shows timetabled with military precision into that time (yes, really, spreadsheet and all!). Well I say 25, in reality it’s a number that seems to increase every time I catch sight of the Fringe brochure. As such I’ve decided to review the shows I see in a slightly briefer day-to-day basis, partly for my own sanity and partly for yours! And rather than stars, it seems only natural for the Comedy Hen to start giving out eggs.

So check out the next post to see how my first day at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe progressed…

Comedy Hen

No comments:

Post a Comment